January 28th – Pinewood Derby Race Day!
On Saturday, January 28th, Pack 207 scouts, friends, and family members get to show off their cars in our annual Pinewood Derby! The derby will be held at River Ridge Covenant Church (7945 Steilacoom Rd SE, Olympia, WA 98503). Registration for participants will begin at 8:00 am. Racing will begin as soon as registration finishes which may be as early as 9am. You must be in line no later than 9:00 am to be included in the racing. Here is some important information to get you started:
- Many volunteers are needed to make this fun event happen. If you are able to help, please meet at the church by 7:00 am to help with set-up and by 8:00 am to help with other race day activities.
- All families are asked to bring a snack food item to share. Please choose something from the following list, or be creative and bring your own “race themed” finger foods!
- Chocolate mini donuts (spare tires)
- Oreo cookies (spare tires)
- Bugles Chips (traffic cones)
- Rice Crispy Treats with M&M’s (traffic signals)
- Licorice (tow cables)
- Please review the rules (Click here for rules) before completing your cars. Some rules have been modified since last year. There are many wonderful resources out there if you need help with construction. Here is a link from Lowe’s with step-by-step instructions: http://dremelderby.com/ unfortunately our local stores are not having any workshops this year.
- If you think your car may need a “test-run” on the track or may need to have weight adjusted, please arrive at 8am to allow ample time to make changes to your car before registering. Once a car is registered, it cannot be touched until racing begins and no other alterations can be made. (Please review the rules for more details) There will be a table available with simple tools, but be sure and bring any items you think you might need.
This year’s Pinewood Derby is being run by Derby Masters:
Merissa White and Cherie LaFavor
Please contact Merissa White with any questions regarding race logistics and registration.
Merissa White e-mail:
Phone (360) 789-7132 cell
Please contact Cherie LaFavor with any questions regarding set-up, decorations, and food.
Cherie LaFavor e-mail:
Phone (618) 979-7445 cell
Looking forward to seeing you all there!